Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Parents learn humility & gratefulnes!

Mom and Dad had a humbling experience through the prcious gifts we received from Gabe. We tried to take the kids out shopping for our gifts, but time ran out and grandpa Tom did it for us. BIG SHOUT-OUT OF THANKS TO Granpa. Anywho, I got my fav, coffee, and cherry filled chocolates (not my fav, but I knew it would be someones). I loved em.
Here's the killer, Joe got a change-sorter (very practical), Pokemon cards, & little box of gold fish (Gabe's all time favorite snack).
Joe and I exchanged the "parent smile", half smile, half laugh. We were saying to each other via "that look", " I wonder who he bought these gifts for?" Gabe saw us giving the look, and got real quiet. As Joe was posing for his picture with his presents, we saw tears streaming down his face. We were devestated. We actually caused our precious, little boy to think that we might be ungratful. We asked him what was wrong, and he said through tears and huffing, "I knew you'd think they were baby toys."
We hugged out little boy and explained that we were smiling and laughing because it was so thoughtful. We went on to say that we've never played Pokemon cards and we needed him to teach us how to play. He was excited to explain how to play and the tears slowly dried up. Joe was extra generous and shared his goldfish with the kids in the back seat as we got lost in the cities trying to find Uncle Tom's house.
Lesson learned! We loved our gifts!
Thank you Gabe & Grandpa Tom.





4 comments:

Naarski (the Mrs.) said...

Oh you guys! I giggled too when I heard about the gifts Gabe got you, but not cuz they are bad, cuz he was cute enough to pick those gifts out. Then I cried when I heard Gabe cried. Bless his little heart. You guys raised a "giver" It makes me want to be more grateful.

cowboy said...

Great Christmas photos. Great Christmas story. We all have to be more mindfull of being grateful. Count our blessing one by one. The photos show that you guys had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

cowboy said...

Great Christmas photos. Great Christmas story. We all have to be more mindfull of being grateful. Count our blessing one by one. The photos show that you guys had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

JamaJama said...

I love pokeman cards! I can't wait to play. And on another note: the word is not gratefulness, but gratitude. just trying to be grammatically correct here. We can have gratitude, it's a bit hard to have gratefulness. However... that being said, I have uber gratefulness at Gabe's heart of giving. He is a wonderful boy.