Sunday, February 04, 2007

Church #3



We were really excited about chuch #3. The drive was nice, 5 minutes from home base, the oarking lot was alright, a bit icey for my taste, and the entrance was inviting. Like acozy coffee house (first warning). The greeter walked up cheerfully with jeans on and a cuddly turtleneck on (smile +, coffee 2nd warning). Dropping off the kids to the kids ministry was fine, no big tells there... Entering service, the greeter whispers just sit anywhere don't worry about it being dark. My thoughts were, well great I'll just sit on this fat ladies lap then because the only light in the place is on the actor on stage monologuing.
We walked in on the middle of the "Drama" as an aspiring actoress I'm thinking, I could do that...but do I want to. The play was about believeing in your self, ...follow up song was CHeryl Crows "I will Believe"... enter minister, pastor, no title man Roy (there are no titles at this church, they want to seem unchurched), so this guys couldn't be called pastor, just Roy in tight faded jeans & flannel, his Bible if that what it was, lookes like a book of poems he tinkeres with every now & again.
In the back were tables with candles in the middle and2-3 chairs surrounding each, and I could hear the slurpping of coffee, the liquid stew could be smelled everywhere because everyone had their travel mug, sipping as they listened to ROY; like a bunch of addicts clinging to their vices they can't put it down for 1 or 2 hours (joe and my ultimate pet peeve about the mid west). I saw one lady whip out her Bible, but I'm not sure why cuz Roy only paraphrased through the whole sermon (speech for the unchurhced)what his intended chapter and verse was all about.
LISTEN READER: if you're going to shadow a church door, let's bring it on the whole bit, give me the worship (not present at church #3, the praying (which there was none except at the end but you wouldn't have known it cuz the lights were out again), I'd like to see the people in the church and not to heckle them, but to know who the heck you are when we leave the place.
Everything is so secretive or set around everyone's comfort zones. Jesus made people uncomfy, duh, that's why they killed HIM. He hung in public for a nonexistant sin, DUH. So why can't these white folks up here swallow a bit of there pride and turn the lights on, put down the coffee, clap their hands (on beat is not an expectation), raise em high if you know why your worshiping and all the other stuff will grow on ya later.
Suck it up people, Jesus makes you want to do things you never wanted to do before: sing, dance, love ugly people, like dumb people. .. I'll stop here before I get in trouble.
Joe's in the bathroom dropping the kids off at the pool while singing Young Jeezy's song "I'm a go getta".
That should take the spot light off of me for a bit!

5 comments:

JADA said...

I think you shold have higher expectations- Lashy- especially about the hand - clapping thing. I think that people (especially folk in the choir) should be able to clap on- beat!

cowboy said...

The lazy church.
Stay away. run forest run
Some people want to look cool and look like they are not religious but then they come off water down and have no power. There is true power in the gospel and in knowing Jesus. This should always show.

Naarski (the Mrs.) said...

La-Shay,
I hate to break it to you, but it looks like rather than attending a church service, you unwittingly stumbled upon a jam session with the left over members of the Grateful Dead.

JamaJama said...

I'm a go getta... Nice Joe.
Well, the church hunt is on for the Stewarts. Not an easy quest in this era of mega church, gimmee gimmee grace and let's have coffee and talk.
We are all very critical of churches aren't we? what's up with that. Good luck.

Lyz said...

Our church has coffee! AND we DON'T clap our hands- even when given permission by our worship PASTOR!:) And PASTOR George preaches straight from the Bible!

Just sayin', we can drink our coffee and worship our Lord at the same time (although most people don't at the same time, I guess.)
Good luck. It's a tough road.