Sunday, September 09, 2007

Dear Rents


I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I think it's worth noting again.
Dearest father, I was searching through my freezer the other night for that 3rd and last bag of 2lbs coffee that I purchased from Sam's Club 3 months ago, and realized I was out. No, this thrifty trick of buying coffee in bulk saves me worthless trips to the bulk foods store, which last trip almost cost me my life, is not why I am writing, no, of course not, I digress. My search for coffee opened my eyes to another remarkable fact, the Choclate, caramle MOsse Tracks ice cream you bought me on your last trip out to KCMO is still sitting in my fridge, untouched, as is, from last February.
Gabe was looking for a delicious something to snack on before bed, and discovered our old and rediscovered ice cream treat when he realized we were out of push-ups (yummy). I said, "oh yeah. Is that still alive!" After I washed the 2 inches of freezer burned ice off of the top, and scraped off the next inch of freezer burned choclate, we discovered it was still good.
So is that why you buy it? Because you know with a little extra TLC, it'll still taste good 1 year from the day you bought it? You're so smart and thrifty. I thought Sam's club described perfectly your thrify nature, or the time you yelled and hollered at me at Cash Wise when I didn't take the free pre-cooked suasages, which also stayed in our childhood freezer for about a year. The left over food is yet another piece of evidence of your thriftiness and granpa charm.
When I get in-laws and see my grand babies grow up I'm going to buy them tons of food they don't eat, knowing that when I return that same food will still be where I left it, untouched, and ready to eat.
P.S. when we moved out of our house in GA, we discovered Ruffles Potatoe Chips, and a bag of Teddy Grams untouched, unfortunately, they didn't make the move.

4 comments:

Clint, Robyn, Lucas, and Chewy said...

I thought we were the only ones--except ours is fat free chocolate frozen yogurt, from when we moved in 15 months ago!! Thanks dad(s)!

JamaJama said...

Wow. Have you actually eaten that? Don't you wonder what it is made of? Plastic. Colored plastic. A bit of flavoring. That's it.

cowboy said...

You made me hungry just reading this blog.First of all I love ruffle potato chips and teddy grahm crakers are the best. JamJam is correct about the cheap ice cream being made out of plastic shavings.Why do you not ritualisticly eat this great stuff?

Naarski (the Mrs.) said...

Another warm fuzzy memory from La-Shay. Make you want to cuddle with a grizzly during a hail storm doesn't it?!