Saturday, February 25, 2006

Joe's big day in the bathroom

I've been knowing this man for 7 years , wow!, and he never ceases to amaze me. Video games, check, lawn mowing, check, too fast channel surfing, double check, fixing a light fixture, I'm not sure?
We've had a light torn out of our bathroom for um...about two years now, just an empty black hole in our original light fixture. The bathroom was a little dimmer, showers were a bit tougher, and days were longer because of this one broken light fixture. we cursed the builders and envied electricians. We were lost home owners trying to find a solution to our problem.

Low and behold Dennis, the father in law, comes to visit and gives us the 4 steps to fixing up our house to sell. I named atleast 10 items that needed to be fixed around our house because it bothered us, but more importantly it could bother a new home buyer. Boy, o boy did I get an ear full from Dennis. Did you know that you can fix things in your home by simply going to Home Depot? Needless to say, the purchasing of equipment to fix items around the house was not our issue at hand.
Fixing them was!

Dennis, the father-in-law, and I hemmed and hawed about how to fix things, He walked me through technical jargon, gidgets and gadgets, and I broke down.
" I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR SAYING!"
"well have boy wonder do it than!" he retorted.
Okay I admit it, this thought in my head almost made me irate. If I wanted Ava changed to a Spice Girls song, Joe can do it, If I wanted a whole baseball series played all in one sitting on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, Joe can do it, If I want the lawn mowed with exactness, Joe can do it, but fix a light fixture? Joe? I'm not so sure...
Hours past, the sun rose, Home Depots closed and there I was pondering the inevitable, could my husband fix a light fixture in our bathroom that has been broken for 2 years?
The answer,
yes.
He did it in 15 minutes!
It turns out that the man did this all summer one year as a summer job!
15 minutes folks, 15 minutes.
Instead of being angry at the fact that $35 and 15 minutes later, my bathroom was sparkling with radiant light aimed in all the right places, instead of the 2 years of dim, dark bathing, I praised and lauded the man who CAN, in fact, fix a light fixture!
He is so manly!
I flick and I wap, the light goes on and off. On and off goes the light, and my husband flexes and puffs up his chest and does a light fixure fixed in 15 minutes dance.
There are many good days ahead folks.
Good days are a coming!

3 comments:

Naarski (the Mrs.) said...

Eureka! I also discovered that after years of jeering my hubby about his lack of handy man skills that he was a handy man wonder. I mean, the guy designed and built a deck on our old house! It took forver, but it was beautiful. It was quite turn on. In addition, he is constantly busy fixing things in the house we live in now. And we are back "in action' if ya know what I mean.

JamaJama said...

I was worried what I was going to read about with Joe's big day in the bathroom.... I am so glad he can fix things... because you live in Georgia where you all are fixin to do things... all the time...

Hi Lasha, its me, Holly.
Can't say I have much to say about handy work in general. I hope to find a sexy handy man with a tool belt myself. Certainly a handy man comes in handy if your getting alot of "action" like Naarah is.
On a side note, I sure do love the pictures of your children. The Hanson girls produce beautiful children. Can't to wait to meet your treasures in person. Love, Holly.
Hi Lasha, Sandy here, Joe is finally coming out of the closet and revealing his true talents. I have waited 11 years for carpet in my bedroom and my kitchen has finally gotten its first coat of paint.

cowboy said...

Good going Joe. I don't fix lights in the bathroom I lay cable. I must have tools though because I have been known to drop the hammer in the bathrrom.